Dear Silmo partners,
Since the beginning of the worldwide health and economic crisis, we made clear commitments and established extensive measures to protect and guide the companies of our industry throughout this particularly difficult period.
In particular, we promised to announce our decision as to whether the 2020 edition of Silmo Paris would go forward as of mid-July, based on various criteria relating to the trade fair fundamentals as well as developments in the international health, economic and political situation.
Encouraged by the distinct recovery of business among opticians and heartened by favourable results in keeping with our determined criteria, we felt confident we would be able to confirm that the 2020 edition would indeed be held from October 2nd to 5th at Paris Nord Villepinte. However, at this juncture where the registered exhibitors were about to make additional expenditures to finalise their participation in the trade fair, and where visitors were about to begin making travel plans, there were still uncertainties as to whether the trade fair would be able to take place as planned.
In the absence of immediate visibility, the SILMO Executive Board met with its partner COMEXPOSIUM, and took the unfortunate decision to cancel the Silmo 2020 Paris event as it was planned to take place at Paris Nord Villepinte. We extend great thanks to the 688 registered exhibitors who demonstrated great entrepreneurial courage by deciding to maintain their participation in Silmo Paris 2020, despite the crisis we are going through.
“SILMO Paris, so much more than a trade fair!”
In such an exceptional context, agility is key. We will therefore pursue our commitment to guide the industry’s return to business, ensure our mission to promote its creations and innovations, and uphold our pledge to the optical and eyewear sector.
That is why,
- from October to November 2020, Silmo will set out to encounter opticians in France and throughout Europe. “Silmo Hors les Murs” (“Silmo Outside the Walls”) will propose events that honour our commitment to support the industry, in keeping with the Silmo convivial spirit!
- This unprecedented operation will begin on 3 and 4 October 2020 at the heart of Paris, and will be repeated every Monday in the month of October in a different city, such as Bordeaux, Lyon, Rennes and Brussels (programme still being finalised). Moreover,
- The 2020 Silmo d’Or awards will go forward, open to all the companies registered to date.
- Once again this year, Silmo Academy will issue a scholarship to support a scientific research project in vision and optics.
- Through a specialised application, Silmo Next – a laboratory of ideas, a forum for interprofessional discussions, and a showcase for creation and innovation – will present the summary of the work that began two years ago, probing into the future of the sector, product developments, and the optical profession: “Towards a techno-responsible optical and eyewear future.”
Esteemed partner and friend of Silmo, we assure you that this is an “extra-ordinary” plan for the 2020 edition...
SILMO 2021 will welcome you back to the Paris Nord Villepinte exhibition centre from 24 to 27 September 2021. We sincerely thank you for your loyalty to Silmo Paris, And we hope to see you again very soon.
Chairwoman of the SILMO Association